Protecting Central Texas Consumers Against Deceptive Practices
In Texas, the law is designed to protect consumers from false or misleading advertising. The Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act (DTPA) prohibits vendors or sales representatives from using false statements, duress, exaggerations and misleading advertisements to generate business.
As a consumer in our state, the DTPA is a potential weapon against a business that has treated you improperly. If the business has made material misrepresentations regarding the goods or services it provides, and if you have been harmed as a result, the business may be obligated to compensate you for the harm it caused.
How Will Attorney Fees Be Paid?
The DTPA also requires the business to compensate you for attorney’s fees. This means that if you prevail, the business that did you wrong will pay for your lawyer — so you do not need to worry about the cost of litigation.
The act is broad. It covers many different situations, including:
- Taking advantage of your lack of knowledge
- Taking advantage of your language skills, including speaking English as a second language or not reading well
- Using false or misleading advertising
- Exaggerating the benefits of a product
- Misrepresenting who has endorsed a product
- Passing off a used product as a new one
- Lying about needed replacements or repairs
- Making false allegations about a competitor
- Price gouging after an emergency, natural disaster or catastrophe
If You’ve Been Deceived By A Business, Speak To A Lawyer Who Knows The Law
If you have been lied to by a business, talking with a lawyer is the best way to protect your interests.
I am attorney Jon Michael Smith. I can talk with you candidly about the harm you have experienced and help you understand the best course of action. I am a zealous advocate for my clients and use more than 30 years of experience to achieve the best possible results in commercial disputes.
Contact My Office Today To Learn More About The DPTA
Discuss the Deceptive Trade Practices Act in more detail and how it relates to your claim by contacting me, Jon Michael Smith. I offer confidential consultations.