We purchase insurance to guard against the unexpected. As policyholders, we are reassured that our needs will be met following a home fire, untimely death or other traumatic event. But when an insurance company fails to recognize a valid claim, our personal tragedy is only compounded.
Often, people have neither the money nor the energy to fight coverage denial or delayed payment. They may feel forced to settle for less than what is owed, or nothing at all. At my Austin law firm, I am committed to assisting families, individuals and businesses receive fair treatment under the law.
If your Texas insurance claim has been wrongfully denied, contact Jon Michael Smith, Attorney. I have 20 years of legal experience, and am prepared to advocate for you every step of the way.
Personal Service From an Austin Insurance Bad Faith Lawyer
Insurance companies promise to be there for you when times are hard. They sell you a policy and collect premiums, but sometimes do not deliver on the policy's assurances. This is known as insurance bad faith.
At my firm, I will help you accurately evaluate your bad faith insurance claim and forcefully pursue justice on your behalf. I am always responsive to your needs, and make it a point to return phone calls within one business day. Because I am a solo practitioner, your case will never be passed to a paralegal or junior associate but will receive the personal attention it deserves.
Affordable, Experienced Advocacy
Denied insurance claims can have a profound and lasting effect on financial stability. For this reason, I strive to make my practice accessible. You will not be charged for an initial case evaluation, and are always considered for flexible compensation arrangements. Should I discover that your matter does not merit legal action, I will provide you with a thorough explanation and assist you in understanding your position.
Since my early days as a law clerk, insurance has been the focus of my practice. Over the years, I have successfully handled hundreds of claims on behalf of policyholders and am committed to favorably resolving your matter.
Jon Michael Smith represents clients in a variety of arenas. Jon’s experience includes consumer and commercial disputes, including insurance claims as well as personal injury and probate matters. Jon handles disputes from cradle to grave, including the filing and handling of lawsuits, through jury trial and appeal, if necessary. Jon is board certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Consumer and Commercial Law. He has also received the highest rating from his peers through the Martindale Hubbell rating system.
Areas of Practice
- Insurance Claims 50%
- Consumer & Commercial Law 30%
- Personal Injury 20%
Certified Legal Specialties
- Consumer & Commercial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2001
- Texas, 1991
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas, 1993
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1995
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas, 1999
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas, 2001
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas, 2005
The University of Texas School of Law, Austin, Texas
- J.D. - 1991
Abilene Christian University, Abilene, Texas
- B.A. - 1987
- Major: Radio Television
Honors and Awards
- AV Rated under Martindale Hubbell’s peer review rating system
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Austin Bar Association, Member, 2008 to Present
- Texas Bar Foundation, Member, 2007 to Present
- State Bar of Texas (Consumer and Insurance Sections)
- Travis County Bar Foundation
- American Board of Trail Advocates member
Past Employment Positions
- Kincaid Horton & Smith, Partner, 2003 to 2007
- Kincaid & Horton, Of Counsel, 1997 to 2003
- Law Offices of Jon Michael Smith , 1996 to 1997
- Gary F. DeShazo & Associates , 1993 to 1996
- Thornton, Summers, Biechlin, Dunham & Brown, Associate, 1991 to 1993